Thursday, November 5, 2009

Silence is the Key

Information is power and people ask so they know what cards you play and how you act in different situations.


You may however want to put people off how you play. You are tight and you bluff one hand and you tell them that you bluffed or you had strong cards when you normally play loosely.

Be aware that experienced player will sometimes lie and use this strategy to disguise their play through deceit. Newer players will usually just tell the truth which is a good insight to how they play, this is why people ask.


When people ask what I had, I just say two cards. If you don't respond, people think you are rude which can be a problem when playing live, particularly against shady characters.
  • Don't talk loudly while somebody is making is making a difficult decision.
It is a matter of respect, you would hope that people would respect you enough to give you some time to think. You can talk, just keep it to a minimum and not about the players or the hand.
  • Don't under any circumstances reveal you hand during the hand.
I don't mean showing your hand, I mean talking or making any gesture that shows what you had after folding.

The most popular example of this that I see is when they would have hit two pair or three of a kind and they snarl or groan. Players need to understand that after they have folded they have no right to be any part of the hand.

By doing so, a hand can be completely compromised, bluffers rely on doubt for their ability to win.

The rule is "Act like you would, if you were still in the hand".

In an extreme example of this, I have won a tournament because somebody sighed. The flop came two kings and a loose player went all in, and the player to my left sighed as though he folded a king.

Normally I would have folded as I didn't have a particularly strong hand, in this case however, I was sure that the raiser did not have the king and I took the chip lead after winning that hand. Ironically I went heads up against and beat 'the sigher'. It is simply bad etiquette.


Some Articles from: Poker Addict

No comments:

Post a Comment